This postseason has been quite taxing so far. The last three games against the Rockies were all close, and so were the first two against the Dodogers. Well: Hallelujah! Last night’s 11-0 win finally allowed all of us to relax an enjoy the sights and sounds of playoff baseball. For example, there was Kyle Kendrick, who apparently had to go get lattes for the coaches. Hey, whatever helps the team win. Kendrick actually had an okay year in the minors — still needs to work on that K:BB ratio — and when he was called up he wasn’t too shabby, either, so hopefully he’ll be back in the majors eventually and some other former Rookie of the Year fifth-place finisher will be fetching coffee. (Full credit to Jason Weitzel at Beerleaguer for noticing this.)
• Another day, another chance to bash Tommy Lasorda. He reminded us all on his Twitter account that he hates the Phillie Phanatic. This was pre-game; then he had to go watch the Phanatic celebrate all night as the Phillies lead kept growing larger and larger and larger. If Tommy’s at the game tonight, the Phanatic should — nay, must — dump a whole thing of Popcorn on his head.
Lasorda was apparently hanging all over the Philadelphia area yesteday, as he also made a stop at Geno’s and wrote, “I don’t always eat cheesesteaks, but when I do, I eat at Geno’s.” Hmm. Let’s go back to May 2006, when Lasorda listed his favorite restaurants on his blog. Now, I am an incredibly picky eater and have the palate of a five year old, but even I think this list is stupid. For example, his favorite restaurants in Washington, D.C.: The White House (where he’s apparently eaten) and ESPN Zone. He lists ESPN Zones (and Buca di Beppos) all over the country. This is like listing your favorite pizza place as Domino’s. What’s the point? I was also highly amused that his blog lists all his honorary doctorates on the sidebar. Do you think Lasorda is one of those people who makes you address him as “Doctor” even though he only has honorary degrees?
But I digress. Back over three years ago, Lasorda wrote this about one of his Philadelphia restaurants. I’ll blockquote this because it’s so great:
Pat’s – One word: PhillyCheeseSteaks!
Uhh, you can’t just cram things together and say it’s one word. And why capitalize the ‘S’? But I digress (again)! Sometime over the past three years, apparently, Lasorda has switched from Pat’s to Geno’s. What gives, Tommy?
The point is: I very much enjoyed Tommy Lasorda looking sad last night as the Phillies (and the Phanatic) destroyed the Dodgers.
• What else did I enjoy about the game last night? I liked one of the tags on this Dodgers fan’s Tumblr post about the game: “kuroda, i will chop off your balls.” I think the Phillies had already done that.
• Last year, I took my girlfriend to her first Phillies game pretty early in the year; it was awesome, because the Phillies rallied from 3-0 in the ninth to win. Anyway: Sometime in the game, Jayson Werth didn’t get a ball in center field. It wasn’t really one he could have gotten, but that didn’t stop some stupid fans around us from chanting, “Werth! Less! Werth! Less!” Well, now we have the opposite of that, the Werthwhile shirt. I couldn’t be happier.
• Let’s see what the Daily News‘ David Murphy had to write in his lede for the 11-0 win.
IT WAS ON the team charter that Jayson Werth realized it would all be OK. In the wake of what could have been a punch-in-the-gut loss in Game 2, the Phillies could have inhabited the type of psychological realm that often leads to physical letdowns of the most gargantuan proportions.
Yes, the Phillies sure could have inhabited that type of psychological realm. Phew! It’s a good thing they stayed out of it, or who knows what would have happened?
• Hm. What else? Wait, what’s that? No, I don’t want to talk about how the Phillies could be going for a sweep tonight. Shush. Look, that could be fun, but Big Game Joe Blanton’s going to give them a 3-1 lead tonight, and that’s good enough for now. Let’s go Phillies!
Each day(-ish) during the postseason, Dan McQuade will write about the Phillies’ chance at a second straight World Series title. You can usually read his thoughts on baseball at Walkoff Walk. If he were going to tonight’s game, he might dump a bucket of popcorn on Tommy Lasorda’s head himself.
- 700 Level
- Crashburn Alley
- High Cheese
- House That Glanville Built
- Philadelphia Will Do
- Philled In
- Philly Gameday
- Philly Gossip
- Phoul Ballz
- The Good Phight
- The Insider
- The Zo Zone
- Where's Weems?
- Who Does He Play For?
- Zoo With Roy